Friday, September 12, 2014

How to Rehash an Old Post - and a Recipe for Lazy Potatoes


This earlier recipe of mine was a big hit. This was in the good old golden days of blogging, in 2008. Those potatoes attained glory by sheer accident - I was busy with all manner of things, most of all an animated conversation with my friend about whose city was better to live in, when I was cooking them so they just kept roasting on the fire and attained that look! In retrospect, I realise my earlier camera was very good too, it had a food setting, but my current camera, which was much more expensive, does not.

This photo, though, was taken with The Spouse's phone. This potato curry was put together a couple of days ago when I got back home from work at 9 30 pm and could not face another meal made up of leftovers. It's less involved than even the lazy potatoes of six-and-a-half years ago - it's simple to put together when you get someone else to boil and peel the baby potatoes, which The Spouse did with far greater success than I have done in a long time.

Baby potatoes: 500 gm
Turmeric: 1 tsp
Sambaar kaaram/special chilli powder: 2 tsp
Salt: to taste
Mustard seed: 1 tsp
Black gram dal, split, hulled (urad dal): 1 tsp
Cumin: 1 tsp
Oil: 2 tbsp

Boil/pressure cook the potatoes until just tender. We let the pressure cooker whistle about 8-10 times. When the pressure drops, open the cooker, drain the potatoes, cool and then peel them.

In a pan, heat the oil. Pop the mustard seed, then add the cumin and black gram.

As the black gram turns brown add the peeled potatoes.

Now add the turmeric, the sambaar kaaram and salt to the pan, mix well. Let fry again for a while.

Serve with rice, pappucharu and curds. They make a nice snack by themselves too.

 

4 comments:

  1. While the earlier one looks fiery red, this looks more mellow, but just as good. I love baby potatoes but hate peeling them and only buy them if I am sure someone else will take care of the peeling.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jay, yes, The Spouse peeled them ever so patiently.

      Delete
  2. Potatoes are looking nice, can i use with peel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sadhna, I'm sure you can, I used to cook potatoes for an uncle who only ate them with the peel. As you live abroad, they're probably much cleaner and have much less mud on them. Also sometimes if they are new (I think, new), the peel is very thin, you can hardly feel it, so it won't be much of a hassle.

      Delete

I moderate all my comments. So if you're a human spammer or a bot that can understand this warning, buzz off, don't waste your time here spamming.